Video of a potential legacy.
This over-7300 square-feet Georgian Revival style home sitting on a knoll in historic Valdese makes a lasting impression on visitors. As you drive up the curved driveway lined with stone walls and walk into the magnificent foyer you begin to realize how much this historical home has to offer. The main level consists of a large formal living room, elegant dining room, well-planned kitchen, powder room and a second master suite for guests or day-to-day living. There are six additional bedrooms on the second floor, including a guest suite mid-level, with 4 full bathrooms. All bathrooms still have original tile and color-matched fixtures. The third-floor runs the length of the house and is finished with an attic fan, flooring, walk up staircase and a huge amount of storage. The basement level has a large family room with wood-burning fireplace, a billiards room, bar, its own wine cellar/tasting room, workout room with sauna, full bathroom and utility room. Special features include laundry chute, elevator from basement to second and third levels, unique plaster moldings throughout the house. Every key hole has original covers rarely seen today. The grounds are pristine and include specimen trees reminiscent of Olmsted’s landscape architecture, including two formal English boxwood gardens.
This home was occupied by the original owners until 1999. It was purchased by the 3rd owners in 2005 who undertook the extensive restoration that has returned this house to an Elegant English-style Georgian Manor with modern amenities.
* Over 7300SF Georgian Revival Style home on 4.5 acres with fence and gate
* Constructed in 1938 as “finest home in county, if not entire western NC”
* Restored and updated to better than original
* 7 BRs, each with walk-in closet
* 6 1/2 bathrooms
* 10’ ceilings on two main floors & finished lower level 8’ ceilings
* All-masonry construction
* Kitchen modernized
Valdese is located in the foothills of North Carolina’s Appalachian Mountains. The town began as the largest Waldensian colony in the world outside of Italy. Valdese, NC was officially incorporated as a town on February 17, 1920. The story of the Waldensians is vividly told in the town’s outdoor drama, “From This Day Forward” presented by Old Colony Players each summer. Valdese is also known for where the Sunbeam Bread Company began, as well as being a part of the huge NC textile industry.
This stately home is deeply entrenched in the Valdese history through its original owners and location in the town. Many opportunities await the house. With little imagination, it could become a destination for bed and breakfast, weddings, business events or even a luxurious spa. More importantly it could be a single family home where children can run freely within its 4.5 acre fenced grounds.
The home is in immaculate condition and is move- in ready. 1031 exchange with lease-back and partial financing are possibilities.
MORE FEATURES OF 404 LOUISE AVE NE
* Large foyer with arched openings to LR, Library and Hall and open stairway to 2nd floor
* Elevator serves all 3 floors
*36’ x 16’ living room with beautiful working fireplace, large formal dining room, attractive library
* Main level guest room with “en suite” full bath
* Main level half bath
* Second floor MBR suite, 36’ x 16’ including dressing area and full bath
* Four additional large BRs on second level with Jack and Jill baths between each 2
* Bathrooms have matching tile and fixtures in art deco style, introduced at 1934 Chicago World’s Fair
* Mid-level guest Suite off back hallway with BR, sitting room and full bath
* Lower level 2000+SF recreation area with bar area, billiards room, family room 36’ x 16’ with working fireplace
The husband and wife team had many years of renovating older homes in Raleigh North Carolina, including a major historical restoration of a pre-Civil War home in one of Raleigh's historical neighborhoods. It was love at first sight when this home was discovered in 2005, virtually unchanged since constructed in 1938 by a local industrialist. A 1938 article in the Hickory Daily News proclaimed it as "the finest home in Burke County, if not the entire Western NC." It was adjudged as "ultra-modern," with its 10' ceilings, matching-color bathroom tile and fixtures as introduced at the 1934 Chicago World's Fair, walk-in closets in all bedrooms and Ulmstead-inspired landscaping.
The home has been lovingly restored to its original elegance, and updated with numerous modern touches, still retaining the unmatched, original construction quality. Now ready to downsize, the owners are willing to hand it off to new caretakers of this exceptional home for a fraction of what it would sell for if just 50 miles south in Charlotte, or 50 miles west in Asheville.
MORE FEATURES OF 404 LOUISE AVE NE
* More on lower level - Exercise room with sauna; Tasting room with adjoining wine cellar; Large, renovated laundry room
* Clay-tile roof; totally restored with new copper flashing and 100-yr “Titanium” underlayment.
* New copper gutters and downspouts
*New shutters and exterior paint
* 400A electrical; all copper plumbing
* All 54 windows replaced with period-correct, Pella architectural windows and screens
* Curved driveway, edged by stone walls
* Walk-out lower level has Monticello-style, 13’ x 55’ patio under 2-story full roof.
* Overlooks 1/3 acre stocked fish pond with aerator
DIRECTIONS ALERT - IMPORTANT
From I-40 Take only Exit 111
404 Louise Ave NE, Valdese, NC 28690